Friday, July 11, 2008

VBS in Ecuador

We just finished a week of Vacation Bible School at church. There were over 200 kids there each day. There were also close to 90 helpers.

Now that I've got that out of the way, let me tell you why those numbers scare me. Yes, that's a bunch of kids and lots of helpers, but that's not what scares me.

What scares me is that when we go to Ecuador, there will be close to that many kids doing VBS and only 6 American helpers, the Missionaries(husband and wife), the pastor and his wife (from Ecuador) and only a handful of other helpers.

We are going to Ecuador to help a church do VBS. This church is also a restaurant and home to the pastor and his wife. We are going to teach the church people there how to conduct a VBS. There are roughly about 50 members of the church. I believe that includes adults and children. Maybe even a dog or two.

So see? That's what scares me. A church with over 200 kids and 90 helpers runs smoothly, chaotic and crazy. What do you think a VBS with close to 200 kids and 10? adults mean?

We are going with little to no resources from here. We are planning to buy everything over there. That way, the people can know what's available to them. We are going with no curriculum, only plenty of Bible stories.

I'm a little nervous, but I'm extremely excited to see God's work in all of this. I know that He'll provide everything He needs for us to accomplish his mission.

And knowing that God's hand is in all of this makes it a lot easier to see the big picture.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YOU can do it Laura! :) So amazing you are going..

counter