Monday, June 30, 2008

Countdown to Ecuador

In exactly 3 weeks I, along with 5 others from my church, leave on a Mission trip to Ecuador.
While I'm excited, I'm also scared, nervous and everything else.

As I mentioned before, I speak Spanish. But around here, no one does. The only words my friends know are my slang Spanish words I use. That and food items.

My Spanish has not been the best. So, in order to brush up on my Spanish, I turn the TV on to the Spanish stations.

The only problem with that is that they mostly show Spanish soap operas on them. So there I sit while folding laundry, watching these soaps and listening to the big words they use.

I have heard most of them, but some of them to me are Tex-Mex words that are different. My boys walk in and ask in a confused voice, "What are you listening to mom?"

Sometimes, the boys will sit there and just listen, but then they get up grumbling, "I don't understand what they are saying. That's a weird show."

And still, there I sit while I watch these programs. I did tell the group yesterday that we were going to have to look for a TV during my soap times so that I could not miss anything. Maybe someone in Ecuador will be watching the 'novellas' that I watch , I mean listen to here. Ha Ha

I know, I'm weird, but hey, it sure has helped my Spanish.

2 comments:

Kari said...

So basically your learning how to speak spanish to your husband making love to him in bed! and how to cheat on your friends and all the latest gossip? That should help you share the gospel! LOL! Just joking but too funny.

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you!! I can't wait to hear about your trip!!

counter