Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The questions that arise at the grocery store while checking out

Because the boys are always with me, they end up going grocery shopping with me. Most of the times they like it, every once in a while they complain.

But, since I don't give them an option, they have to go where I go.

We went to the Toy Shop to pack up boxes for families. The Toy Shop is a place where people donate toys and this place then gives the toys away to families that need them. The boys like to go pack boxes for kids.

The only problem with that is that they want to 'try out' every toy there to see what it sounds like. So at one point, there were all these toys making noise. I think the old ladies were ready for us to leave.

After we left the Toy Shop, we had some time to go to the grocery store before UB had karate. We did our shopping and were waiting in line. In a long line. But in the grocery stores defense, they only have 5 or 6 registers and they did have 3 of them open.

Apparently, that wasn't enough for the impatient older man behind me. He was not happy that there were more than 4 people in line.

Some poor employee was walking past him and he asked her if they had any more cashiers. She looked at him calmly and said that she thought they were getting some more.

He was still complaining and moved from behind me to another register.

They finally open up 2 more registers and people start moving to those newly opened registers.

He of course doesn't move fast enough and still doesn't get to the front of the line. The 2 people in front of me decide to move and so I am next in line.

I can hear him complaining and I look at the line where he is and ask him if he would like to go before me. No, he says, I'll just wait. So wait he did.

While we were in line, AB was reading all those headlines on the magazines.

You know, the drama headlines of Hollywood.

The "Brad and Angie fight because of Jen" or "How to lose 30 lbs in 4 days" or "Eat all you want and still lose weight" or "Brad finally apologizes to Jen and Angie get jealous" or "Vanessa (from High School musical) shows you how to get in shape for the Holidays"

AB was reading all the magazines and was telling me about them.

He then says, "Mom, I don't understand what this means. Come look."

I tell him to just read it to me as I was pushing the shopping cart to the register.

Out loud he says "How to get big cleavage, What does that mean mom?"

I look around to make sure no one was listening.

"Umm," I said "help me unload these groceries."

"But mom, what does that mean?"

"What does that other magazine say?" I ask

"Patrick Swayze is still sexy. Who is Patrick Swayze and what is sexy."

I hurry up and pay and get out of there. I'll have to distract him next time with a candy bar.

3 comments:

leb said...

First you teach them to talk and then wonder when they will be quiet. Next you teach them to read and the next day wish they could not.

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious...they always are. You need blindfolds for the checkout line, it's a mess!! :)

Kari said...

That is too funny! So did you explain to him what a cleavage is or what sexy is?

counter