Thursday, October 25, 2007

I didn't say that!

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

Ephesians 4:29



When my kids were younger, they would stare at people and they were quite honest about what they saw. One day we were at the bank and the gentleman next to us had apparently been working very hard, it was either that or he was rolling around in the Oklahoma red dirt and mud. Well, the boys kept staring at him and I kept trying to distract them by telling them how the nice teller would give them a lollipop, but it didn't help. They both turned to look at me and Noah, who wasn't talking quite well yet said in a not so quiet voice "dirty man". Isaac then agreed and started to say how VERY dirty he was. It was quite embarrassing. I guess it could have been worse.

But we as adults and parents need to watch what we say because our kids pick up on it. When we have kind and friendly words to say about someone, our children will do the same. As the boys get older, they still stare, but now they try to say something positive about who they are staring at.

When Loren drives, he thinks he's Dale Earnhardt. Sometimes he doesn't compliment the driver of the other car like he should and therefore, some not so nice kid friendly words come out. They are not vulgar words, but my kids think stupid is a bad word. So one day we were riding in the truck when Noah suddenly yelled at his brother and this is what he said "you are a more on" (My kid friendly spelling of the word.) Loren and I looked at each other and knew that we had to watch what we said a lot more carefully.
***********************************************************
Do you ever feel like someone is following you? Like someone is trying to get you? I feel like that lots of times in my own home. I have these little munchkins that try to plot against me. They have their own language with each other, and they can look at each other and know exactly what the other is thinking or wants. It's scary. :)



I knew my kids were up to something when I couldn't hear them in the house, so I snuck outside and this is what I found.

I think they are plotting to hurt me and burn me in the pit. Although, they'd have to make the hole a little bit bigger, because I definitely don't fit in that.


No comments:

counter