Monday, October 15, 2007

What's for storm tonight?

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." John 13:34



Is'nt it wonderful that God gave us so much love that we can love more than one person? Sometimes we don't want to love the people that hurt us or the people that push us away, but through God, we can love those hard to love people.
******************************************************

We had a storm last night. Oklahoma weather is very unpredictable. The menu for the day was cloudy all day with a sprinkle of sunshine. My boys don't like storms. As a matter of fact, I don't either. It's even worse around the Davis household when Loren's not home, as was the case last night. Top the storm off with a massive headache and you have a wonderful meal.


My head had been hurting all day. The kind that you could feel behind your eyes, to your ears and then the back of the head. I took some tylenol, but that didn't kick in right away. Since Loren wasn't here I had to keep on trucking and do the mommy thing.


As with all storms, this one hit at night. The boys were camping out in my room. When I got in to take a shower, Noah fell asleep right away, but Isaac was listening to the beginning of the storm. While having soap and shampoo on me, Isaac knocks on the door panicked because the fire alarm went off. I turn the water off and listen for the siren. Not hearing one, I tell him I'll be out soon.


We have experience with the fire alarm because it's gone off while we were not in the house. When the sirens go off at the house, it contacts the alarm people who in turn call us to see if we are ok. When we don't answer, which the first time I was in the shower and the second time I was brush hogging, the alarm people turn around and call the police or fire dept.


I rush out of the shower and try to find the source of Isaac's panic. I find it as the dishwasher. You see, everything in our house beeps when it's done or if something is wrong. We have so many beeps that I've just started to ignore all of them. You know: coffee pot, oven, mircrowave, dishwasher, washer, dryer, storm door, alarm, boys (well I guess not the same beep)


He falls asleep reassured that everything is ok. I am still with this headache that won't leave me alone. I go lay down only to be startled when I hear what sounds like rocks being thrown at the windows. Hail. I was on the phone with Loren at this time and I pretty much panic. Imagine being in a small aluminum shed. (Not that our house is aluminum) but the hail was coming down fast and a lot at a time. The wind was blowing hard as was the rain, the lightning was also enjoying the show. I'm glad the boys slept through it all.


After taking pictures of the hail, I lay back down. Loren hangs up with me so I call my friend who keeps me posted on the weather. I have satellite and nothing works when it's storming. While I'm talking to her, my power goes out. Great, I can see that I'm going to get no sleep. I finally try to sleep sometime after midnight. The power comes back on at 2:30am. I know I left all the lights off, but for some reason the living room light is turned on. I get up to turn it off and to set my alarm. The storm has finally passed.


My headache is gone this morning. Woo hoo. I guess I'd better go clean out all the stuff I put in the safe room and get it ready for another day.

No comments:

counter